9 Sep 2011

Home Made Craft Labels

{ or labels on a budget, or in the last minute}

I would like to share with you a great idea for DIY labels that I found many months ago. It is so creative and clever that I wish it was mine, but I actually saw it here, at the lovely blog Patchwork and Pottery.



You’ll need the following:

T-shirt transfer kit
Twill tape
Printer
Exacto knife and board (this one is optional)
Scissors
Iron

 

I used the Avery T-shirt transfer pack, and I bought the one for white t-shirts, as my labels are white. I know that they have a kit for dark t-shirts. I am sure you can buy a cheaper version. I bough mine on Amazon.

Yes, you will need to reverse your image, so when you iron it, it will show from the right side!

Here are the steps you’ll need to follow:

I have undated the instructions since I first published this post as many people e-mailed me with questions:

Download the free software Avery Design Pro 5.

Open the software and select the blank page just below File. From the list of templates choose the number of your product - T-shirt transfer. If you are not using Avery, than look for C9045. And from there on it is like using a word document.

Remember to leave spacing and also make sure that the height of your labels is smaller than the width of your ribbon or twill tape.

The good thing about the Avery Design Pro Software is that you don't have to worry about reversing your image. It will know that automatically because you have selected the T-shirt transfer template. Clink of Print Preview to check this. Do print out a couple of test pages. Once you are happy with the colour or the spacing than print it on the transfer paper from your T-shirt transfer kit.

Another tip is to check the settings of your printer. Many modern printers have the “Reverse image " option in the printer settings. If you have this option, than you can use a Word document to create your labels and use the printer settings to reverse the image before printing.

After you have printed your labels on the transfer paper use an exacto knife a board and a ruler to cut strips of your labels. If you do not have an exacto knife, than you can use paper scissors.



Once you have cut out your strips, you’ll need to iron them on the twill tape. At this point you will have to follow the description of your T-shirt transfer kit – but basically use hot iron, no steam and leave the labels to cool off completely before peeling off. A tip from me - try to press your labels, it works better than ironing.

 
When completely cool, peel off the paper and cut your desired labels. Ready – your very own, hand made labels in less than an hour!
 
 
 



 What I love about this way of making labels is the variety - you can choose any colour of twill tape, use colourful writing, personalize your labels or even have little images like flower or butterfly. Or you can make a continuous label tape.

And while I was waiting for the  labels to cool down, I made this absolutely delicious Italian herbs and parmesan bread. OK it took more than 5 min, but the bread is very quick and easy to make. I found the recipe here. I also cheated and used a packet of brown bread mix and the flavour is still amazing.

Have a lovely weekend!
Love
Irina xx

52 comments:

  1. absolutely brilliant labels, I'm going to have to find that magic paper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I have seen s.th. like that in Handmade Kultur, that's what I have to try - does it work also with a Laser Printer or only a Tintenstrahlprinter?

    I loved your labels and wondered where you bought them but forgot to ask you - now I know that they are handmade. Superb!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea for the labels ... must look out for that transfer paper!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing. I'm going to try making my own labels. I've added it to my 'To Do' list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea! They look so good on the twill tape.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are really cute ...Thanks for sharing !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woow, it really looks simple and cute! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great labels! Mhh, the bread looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the labels!

    Hugs, Beertje Zonn

    ReplyDelete
  10. To make your own labels is a great idea. Are you going to the Holland Stoffmarkt? I can understand your dilemma. I hope that I will find time for it. I couldn’t go to the last one and was so sad.

    Babs

    ReplyDelete
  11. ...what a fantastic idea, many thanks!!!
    I should have known it two days earlier, so I could sew one to the new pillow for my nephew.

    And many thanks for the award, I´m so happy about getting it !!! Let me have some time to answer the questions ;O)

    Bye and Love
    Gabi

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brilliant idea! I'll have to make some of these! Thank you so much for sharing your genius!
    XoXo
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are so cute! what a great way to add a personal touch to projects!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a great idea, I so need to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post!
    That's what I need to do soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have been making labels using this technique for a few years and they hold up beautifully through the laundry process!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fantastic idea! I'll have to try it out

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great labels - will definitely try that when I need a break from my black ones!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fantastic! Clever and easy. Just what I like! They look great too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. cool idea!!! Could also use them for labeling your children clothe for school!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh you made me so jealous with the labels (and the bread)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am waiting on some labels to arrive...wish I had seen your tut before. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Bonne idée, merci et bonne soirée

    ReplyDelete
  24. Brilliant idea! Thanks for this, I've got some of that t-shirt transfer paper but never knew what to do with it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a really great idea for labels.. Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I really love this idea. I have been trying to do something similar for a while. I cannot figure out how to reverse my image in Word. Is that something that came with what you downloaded from Avery? Please help:)

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is such a great idea. I've been meaning to get some professionally done for ages but it's more likely I'll try this myself! ;) Have a great weekend. Kx

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm so pleased you linked up at SewHappyGeek! I just wanted to let you know I've featured your link today on Feature {Friday}. Go grab a button if you'd like one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Those labels are great! I think I'll have to try and make some for myself so thanks for the detailed description. I have used spoonflower for larger labels with lots of text, but these are perfect for smaller projects and to make hanging tags for things like potholders!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great labels! I am definitely going to give these a try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a great idea!!! I'm totally going to try this out. And, I even love the way it looks before their cut - would be so adorable for packaging or gift giving. Thanks for the tutorial!

    Shelley
    www.westermanfam.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Awesome! Thanks for the tutorial! :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love them! I'm going to have to give them a try too..

    Tracey
    thepeonyteacup.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Irina, thank you so much for sharing the label how-to. I love using labels on my projects but I have bought them on Etsy and they were *not* cheap.

    Not only that, but that bread looks amazing.

    You've been featured this morning so feel free to drop by Happy Hour Projects and grab a button if you like. Thanks for sharing!

    Adrianne

    www.happyhourprojects.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love these labels! I've always wanted something like this. Off to pin!

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a great idea!
    I'm going to have a go at making some of these, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a great idea and resource! Love it! THanks for linking up at my party last week, I am featuring you this week:)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Your labels are fabulous. What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Love this, where would I find the twilltape?

    I found this post from your link at the Eisy Morgan link party! :)


    I am visiting from www.heavenly-blossoms11.blogspot.om

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thanks for linking up to the Creative Genius Link Party! I'd love to see you link up again tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Did you know you were Haute Stuff today???
    I hope you will grab a button!!!
    http://www.frugaliciousme.com/2011/09/haute-stuff-thursday_22.html

    XOXO,
    Tasha

    ReplyDelete
  42. Just popped back to say a huge thanks, I made some of these and LOVE them. If you're interested, I posted about them today at http://craftandnappies.blogspot.com/2011/09/im-loving_30.html

    ReplyDelete
  43. I'm your newest follower. I like what I have seen so far. You are talented.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Thank yoo so much for this great idea! I bought simple twill tape long time ago, and now I know what I have to do with it! - brandetta from berlin, germany -

    ReplyDelete
  45. Thank you !!!! ...i have done a lot of "own-desing" tshirts with this transfer paper...but never in a million years i would think about making my own label...how easy ;-)) Greatings from Germany !
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  46. I think i'm going to try that.Its a great idea. Tnx

    vflorarte.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  47. I just love this idea as well, but like Tanya above I am struggling with the 'how to' on reversing my image.
    Thanks for the great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louise,

      There is easy free software that can be downloaded from the Avery website.
      http://www.avery.co.uk/avery/en_gb/Templates-&-Software/Software/Avery-DesignPro-Light-for-PC.htm

      I use this to reverse the image.

      Open the software and select the blank page just below File. From the list of templates choose the number of your product - T-shirt transfer. If you are not using Avery, than look for C9045. And from there on it is like using a word document.

      Once you have filled the whole page with labels in your desired size and font than click on the print icon and the software will automatically reverse the image because you have selected the T-shirt transfer which obviously will have to be mirrored. Print a couple of test pages to make sure there is enough space between the labels and between the rows of labels.

      The software is only for PC and if you are using MAC I am sure you can goggle the relevant software.

      Also some more advanced printers have a “reverse image" option in the printer settings.

      Hope it works.

      Irina

      Delete
    2. I have just added both Avery Design Pro links for PC and MAC in the body of the post.

      Delete

Leave me a comment if you'd like... I love reading every single one of them and to make it easier there is no annoying word verification.