23 Sept 2011

Twenty ways with piping

 { a collection of piping ideas}

There are two reasons as to why I decided to write this post – first, there is a common belief that piping is not easy to use and second, people seem to relate piping mostly with cushions and nothing really exciting. So I am on a quest to show you that piping is not only easy, but versatile and beautiful and there is no limit to the ways it can be used. I for sure will be using more piping in my projects.

So to tickle your imagination and in the hope that you might find some inspiration and courage to use piping, I have collected a few lovely projects all made with piping.

I won’t bother you with words; photos work better for me so here are no less than 20 fabulous ideas including piping, all made by fellow bloggers.

For the home

1. Piped cushion – this is a little set I recently made for a birthday present for a little boy and it will go all the way to San Francisco. I love the way the contrasting piping complements the light gingham.

2. Floor cushions – so fun to have around the house and I will definitely be making some of those. I love both styles - there is a round one I found on a great blog called Living with Punks


And also a square with a nice tutorial  from Sew Mama Sew.

 
 3. Here is also a great idea about a piped bench seat by The SCI Project…the white piping looks so lovely with the blue fabric.


 4. Off course there is no limit when it comes to cushions so here is a star shaped cushion by Sew A Straight Line - lovely...


And the letter shaped cushion you have probably see in one of my prevous posts.


 5. You didn’t think it was all cushions did you – how about a kitchen utensil cover. Check out this lovely toaster cover by T Party. I know I have a mixer in my kitchen that needs covering.

 
Something nice for us

6. Include piping in your project and make a lovely weekend bag like the one below from Done Well

 
7. Threat yourself to a gorgeous clutch – also with piping. Check this beauty from Titus 2 Homemaker.

 
8. Invite your friends around for tea – and show off with a beautiful tea cosy like this one from My Creative Eye. It's so sweet!


 9. If you have never attempted clothes – what better excuse to make some new trousers and to add contrasting piping like these from Scruffy Badger Time


 10. And if you like a very girly and not too complicated project to try piping than have a look at this lovely sleep mask by Roubidou…adorable!

 
11. Look at this - a piped cover for the sewing machine…I would love one…this one comes from Pammie and The P's

 
For the little person in your life

13. For the tiniest person in your household – why don’t you give the old car seat a new look – I am completely amazed by this tutorial  by Make It Love It – fantastic!

 
13. The baby boy cot bumper also uses piping and I think it is amazing from Sew Dang Cute.

 
14. Check out the cutest Ladybird baby bottles ever – with piping…sooo sweet! From Is Five


 15. If you fancy trying out piping but you need  a simple project than have a look at this lovely bib with piping – so clever! By the lovely Soule Mama
16. For girls the options are endless – piping is a lovely way to embellish a dress – check out the gorgeous Pipe Dreams dress  from Me Sew Crazy – now isn’t that adorable!


 17. And what about this lovely piped skirt from Leafy Threetop Spot – OK, I realise there are more piped ideas for girls…sorry mums of boys!

  
18. Oh, here is something for the boys…an absolutely lovely idea how to make piped pockets by I Kat Bag…I think it is adorable – red gingham combined with denim!

 
19. I loved this brave idea by Me Sew Crazy to use piping to make a butterfly!


 20. An absolutely fantastic Back to School idea from I Kat Bag - pencil cases at Sew Mama Sew – I love the colours!

 
And now I would like to show you two very interesting ideas – have you heard of scalloped piping? No! Neither did I until two days ago when I found this tutorial by Sew Blessed – the piping is absolutely gorgeous!

So you are familiar with piping now, but have you heard about cording…check out this tutorial about how to make this fabulous bowl made by Ooops I Craft My Pants…you can choose any colours for any ocassion – I can’t wait to give it a try!

 
I hope you liked this collection of piping projects and soon you’ll be trying it for yourself! 
If you make something using piping that please leave a comment with your blog link – I would love to have a look!

Have a lovely weekend!

Love
Irina xx


26 comments:

  1. thank you so much for featuring my ideas! I am glad you liked them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderfully inspiring! I'm honored to be included in this idea-filled ode to piping. Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmm, I LOVE piping! So many fun ideas. Thanks for including one of mine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post! Thanks for putting in the time to compile such great piping projects!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of lovely ideas! Love, love, love the matching gingham cushion and canvass!!! The fabrics and colours work so well in the design.

    Here's a link to a bag I've done with piping:
    http://threadingmyway.blogspot.com/2011/08/finished-bag.html

    and hand piping with vinyl:
    http://threadingmyway.blogspot.com/2011/08/old-project.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love piping! So easy to use but such professional results!!!

    I use piping on toddler backpacks:
    Here's a link to some pics on my blog

    http://handmadebyjt.blogspot.com/2011/09/little-js-dump-truck-backpack.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing these great projects! i love the pencil case!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing!! pretty things, I love the pencil cases from Sew Mama Sew, I'll try to do something but it's difficult choose one..cheers

    ReplyDelete
  9. Total super, ich bin begeistert! Ich habe Piping einmal probiert und es hat leider mäßig funktioniert, muss es unbedingt nochmal ausprobieren, jetzt wo ich mir ja auch einen bias taper zugelegt habe. Danke für die tolle Ideensammlung. LG Anja

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, thanks for this great selection of fun projects to make... love the baby car seat make-over! You must have put a lot of work into this post... thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post with a fab selection of links, though you didn't mention bags! I'm still a novice sewer and I tried piping early on, with great success, it's really not that hard. First I made a sewing machine cover:
    http://thecraftersapprentice.blogspot.com/2011/03/bliss-post-in-which-i-say-piping-quite.html
    Then another:
    http://thecraftersapprentice.blogspot.com/2011/04/sewing-machine-cover-2.html
    Then a bag:
    http://thecraftersapprentice.blogspot.com/2011/04/bag-for-my-mum.html
    and then another!
    http://thecraftersapprentice.blogspot.com/2011/05/guess-what-its-another-bag.html
    All with homemade piping.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your cushion with the engine. I have to sew one for a little boy. Can I use yours as an inspiration? I do still don’t know if I can make it to the market. But maybe when I find the time to go there I will meet you there by pure chance. I am sure I will remember you.

    Babs

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are awesome! I love them all, especially the star pillow--how fun! Now, if someone could just tell me HOW to sew it on, I would be good to go! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have always had a complex about piping - I am obviously going to have to mend my ways!

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love what you have done, and shown, picked you up from the linky, Am dead impressed!
    Thanks for sharing- I may have to follow you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So many pretty ideas! I'm lusting after the toaster cover and I just love the "pipe dreams" dress - look at those pockets! Just right for filling with treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for linking up to the Creative Genius Link Party! Don't forget to link up again Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Irina
    Sorry I've taken so long to reply, but thank you so much for such an inspiring collection of piping - it's addictive, so there's plenty of food for thought here. Thank you for featuring my trousers - I am honoured!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I haven't used piping for the longest time! I have a lovely collection of ready made piping that I used for smocked dresses when my girls were smaller...it sets off smocking perfectly! Must pull it out and have a play :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. best Piping Design Course in India, Hyderabad. sanjaryacademy is a well-known institute. We have offer professional Engineering Course like Piping Design Course, QA / QC Course,document Controller course,pressure Vessel Design Course, #Welding Inspector Course, Quality Management Course, #Safety officer course. web site ; http://www.sanjaryacademy.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. best Piping Design Course in India, Hyderabad. sanjaryacademy is a well-known institute. We have offer professional Engineering Course like Piping Design Course, QA / QC Course,document Controller course,pressure Vessel Design Course, #Welding Inspector Course, Quality Management Course, #Safety officer course. web site ; http://pipingdesigncourse.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank You for sharing such an amazing blog!! I would love to share inCaterers in Faridabad

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello I’m grateful to have read your content thank you. What a nice blog! I have enjoyed reading through the article although I landed on this site. If you are having issues in getting your Artificial Intelligence Assignment Help Online completed accurately then do not hesitate Nursing Assignment Help online and get your papers checked by the Cloud Computing Assignment Help in AU experts at Assignment Australia

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment if you'd like... I love reading every single one of them and to make it easier there is no annoying word verification.